Friday, December 16, 2011

Mug Rug

I  needed a bit of a change from making all the blocks for the swaps and BOM;s so I decided to make a 'mug rug' for fun.  Was nice to  start  and finished something in the same day.  I put it on my hubby's table beside his chair.
Have been hand embroidering the blocks for Snowy Days by CrabApple Hill.  I want to get a few more done before I start the piecing of the blocks.

Watching the movie "RED" with hubby.  Not my type but..................

Happy quilting
Charlotte

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

DONE!!!!!!

Dec. 11th  I  FINISHED the top.  Not without some issues.  First I had all the 12 ½ in. sashings sewn on to find that I cut them 1 ½” by 12 ½ instead of the 2 ½ by 12 ½.  So I ripped them all out and cut out the correct width so the strip with the 4 blocks plus sashing now measured the correct size of 54 ½.  After attaching the horizontal sashing strips and the narrow inner border I worked on the finishing up the QST’s.  Made the borders correctly – 18 on the sides and 16 top/bottom  Had the quilt on the floor with the correct borders in place.  Sewed the right side border on, then the left and the top.  Went to put the bottom on and lo and behold – did it again!!!  When I picked up the left side border, I turned it around accidentally so my un-sewing skills came in again.  Had to take off the top and the left side, turn the baby around and reattach left, top and then bottom.  I am pleased with the outcome.  Now to determine what to use for backing. I'll have to look at it and let it 'talk' to me.  
 

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mill Girl Ripping

I finished un-sewing the 15 strips.  I re-read and re-read again the directions and did the calculations on how many strips I needed to fix this.  Luckily I had enough background with about 7 inches left.  Sewed all the vertical sashings, measured and lo and behold, came out the correct size.  Continued to put the vertical sashings and then the inner border which was 1 1/2 UN-finished on.  Am working now on the blocks for the border.  Have about 8 done out of 70 and decided to clean my machine.  Even though I am using Aurifil thread, lint still collects under the feed dogs.  Will finish cleaning tomorrow and put in a new needle.

Took a ride over to The Bunkhouse Quilt shop this morning to show my Saturday Mystery blocks and pick up next months.  She was having her annual end of year sale- $7.00/yard- so there will be less inventory for her to count in the next few weeks.  I DIDN'T buy anything.  I have already sewn the 2 blocks for next month.  One was a framed pinwheel and the other courthouse steps - 6 1/2 unfinished blocks.

We went to a Christmas Party tonight - lots of good food and a few quilting buddies were there. Another party next Saturday night so will have to put off the diet I guess.

Tomorrow I have to clean out a cabinet that houses my 'batik' collection so hubby can move the cabinet.  He is spraying the ceiling in another room.  I hate living in chaos but it will be nice when it's finished.  I have adapted to piecing on the kitchen table and cutting/ironing on the granite counters which isn't really a lot of space.  Hard to press a decent size quilt on a ironing pad that is 20 x 26 ish.  Oh well.  Won't be long now.

Happy quilting
Charlotte

Thursday, December 8, 2011

RIP RIP RIP

Yesterday I was working on the sashings for the Mill Girl's Quilt Along.  I am a few weeks behind because of the cruise.  Had it all set to go with a little help.  In between each block (vertical) is a sashing strip 12 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches.  Then a horizontal 54 1/2 x 2 1/2.  I finished putting the 12 1/2 pieces on - 3 per row. So a total of 15.
Stopped to make dinner and after the kitchen was cleaned up I was going to put the rows together with the long sashing.  Started to do the calculations - hmm, this isn't working.  The book says to sew end to end 6 strips and cut into 54 1/2 inches.  I've got 4 blocks-- 48 1/2 + 3= 51 1/2 - hmm, short 3 inches.  A good time to quit. I think I need to go back to school for 'basic math'!!!

I wrote to one of the gals that is doing this quilt and she wrote back - the sashings are finished 2 inches - oh darn- it dawned on me that I cut them all 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 1/2!!!!  I know that if I adjusted the outer sashings I could make it work with the border but want to do it correct so I am RIPPPPPPING today.
Guess I need  a 'reading' lesson instead of a 'math' lesson!!!  

Hope you all have a better day quilting than I am.

Charlotte



Saturday, December 3, 2011

DH and I had a 'togetherness' day today.  I accompanied him to his 'woodworking' club in Canterbury, NH.  Started at 9AM and finished promptly at noon.  Tom, the speaker, was showing a neat way to make dovetails and applying veneers.   His shop is HUGE - approx. 26 x 55 ft. with an upstairs.  What could I do with this for a sewing / quilting room!!!  

While sitting there for 3 hours listening, I was hand embroidering a block from my Snowy Days (Crab Apple Hill) project.  I'm not speedy with project.  Think i have spread myself a bit thin lately.  I have all the fabrics chosen for the Toyko Subway quilt which also is on the back burner.  Oh well.

Thanksgiving dinner was at my daughter's so yesterday I cooked a turkey for us.  We both like homemade turkey soup so a few more dinners out of this bird before soup time.

I finished block 2 blocks yesterday for Christmas at Elm Creek.

 Christmas Eve
Christmas Star



Three more months plus the center.  Also have to finish the Christmas Cactus - just need to put the red berries on but I need to be in the mood for applique.  

Monday night I go to  hand piecing/hand quilting class.  I am behind on that as well.  Loosing power for 5 days and then going on the cruise for 10 I got behind in a lot of projects.  
We leave Christmas Day for Texas for a week so I had better get myself really motivated!.

Off to clean up the kitchen,

Happy Quilting
Charlotte